This is what I made last night for dinner! Did not get to take a picture as it was scarfed down quickly and everyone enjoyed it 🙂
|BEEF AND POTATO SOUP|
1 lb. ground beef/chuck
7-10 potatoes (peeled and sliced into about 1 inch cubes
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans beef broth
1 16 oz. sour cream
1 chopped onion
Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, brown beef and onions. Drain. Add cream of mushroom soup, broth and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low/med. Add sour cream. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and add to pot. Let simmer until ready to serve.This makes a very thick soup but it is delicious!
I then stumbled upon this morning, a different version of the soup that I may try next time!
- Prep: 30 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
- Yield: 10 Servings
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup Daisy Brand Light Sour Cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and 1 can broth until smooth. Add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, celery, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheese and milk. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts1-1/4 cups equals 327 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 832 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Originally published as Makeover Beef & Potato Soup in Healthy Cooking December/January 2012, p28