It’s back to school time. The day you as a parent have been looking forward to since school let out, and a time kids have been dreading. But, as any parent knows, getting back into the swing of things is a challenge for you both. My daughter is turning four and heading off to preschool. She is excited but this is going to be different for both of us.
Preschool is a little different than other grades, but the routine is the same for what they should be practicing to make the whole school experience something that they enjoy. Plus, any advice for making the preschool transition easier is great for us parents too right? I thought back to what I wished that I would have known when my son started preschool for the first time and knew that I needed to implement them with my daughter.
Here are 5 back to school hacks for your preschooler to make the transition easier. I hope that they help you out!
- Practice your morning routine. Preschoolers need routine, structure, and help getting ready for school. Start your back to school routine before school starts to get them ready for the year. This will make the mornings flow smoothly and get them out the door easily.
- Designate a place for all school stuff. Don’t let your kids just throw their backpack, shoes, and lunch box on the floor. Designate a specific spot for their school stuff so they have it ready to go in the mornings.
- Invest in a timer. Timers are a great way to keep everyone on schedule. Set a timer for getting ready in the morning. Set a timer for completing school work. Set a timer before bedtime. Timers help keep your kids on schedule and make life easier for the parents.
- Have breakfast ready the night before. If you know you are rushed in the mornings, make breakfast go quicker by popping some pre-made pancakes into the microwave, laying out the cereal or pop tarts, or pre-making egg casseroles. Making sure everything is ready to go will make breakfast quicker and smoother.
- Have snacks ready for afterschool. Get your snacks ready ahead of time. All kids are going to be hungry when they get home from school. Put your snacks in Ziploc bags and hand them out as your kids walk in from school. This limits fussiness and keeps the routine from school going.
What other hacks do you have for back to school with a preschooler? Share your hacks in the comments below!