If you are like my family, cookies are a huge hit and even staple in our house. We love to make them together and the yummier the better. These Cherry Garcia cookies are out of those world amazing and they are so simple to make. I love to let the kids help me with these since they only take a few ingredients. They love to mix up the dough and lay the cookies out on the sheet.
We have featured other simple cookies on the website before that are just as simple to make so don’t forget to check those out too. Baking in the kitchen with the kids is so much fun and when they get to enjoy what they have made together with me the look on their faces is priceless.
1 cup granulated sugar
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter, softened at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (12 oz.) bag Nestle semi sweet toll house chocolate chips
1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries- drained and chopped into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, butter, egg and almond extract. With an electric mixer, cream until light and fluffy.
3. Add the flour and salt and mix until just combined.
4. Add the semi sweet chocolate chips and stir until well distributed.
5. Gently fold in the chopped cherries.
6. Chill cookie dough for 30 minutes.
7. Roll dough into 2 inch balls (the cookies will not expand much in the oven) and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
8. Bake 12-14 minutes or until light brown.
9. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.