We love Rice Krispies Treats around here and this recipe is so much fun for St. Patrick’s Day! All you have to do is make the treats as normal and then top with these fun decorations styled into a rainbow. This is something that the whole family can get involved with and you can make more than one at a time.
This would be a great recipe for each child (and adult) to make their own rainbow with a pot of gold!
This recipe is for a 9×9 pan:
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1. Spray a 9×9 pan with vegetable spray and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt (optional) until well-coated.
5. Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely.
INGREDIENTS FOR RAINBOW RICE KRISPIES CAKE
Prepared 9 x 9 pan of a Rice Krispies (see recipe above)
Betty Crocker vanilla cookie icing in a pouch
Large candy buttons in red, orange, yellow and blue (can also use candy Sprees or M&M’s)
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
3 Rolo candies – still wrapped
1 chocolate square (I used Ghirardelli)
HOW TO MAKE THE RAINBOW RICE KRISPIES CAKE
1. Start with assembling the clouds at the bottom of the cake, on both sides: Dab a small amount of icing onto one side of the mini marshmallows and press down firmly onto the Rice Krispies.
2. Make the rainbow by applying a dab of cookie icing on the back of the candy buttons and pressing down firmly onto the Rice Krispies. Start with a red row, followed by orange, yellow and blue.
3. Using a kitchen shears or scissors, round off the edges of the Ghirardelli chocolate square to look more like a pot of gold. Apply icing to the back of the chocolate square and press down firmly below the rainbow.
4. Apply icing to the wrapped end of each Rollo candy piece and press firmly above the pot of gold.
NOTE: I purchased the candy buttons at Hobby Lobby but you can also order them on Amazon.
This is so fun and easy that you can do this for any type of celebration!